Wednesday 21 September 2011

Typhoon Roke

On Sep 20-21 Japan was hit by a strong typhoon 'Roke'.    It caused 13 deaths and substantial damage as it made its way up Japan.  





One million people in Nagoya were advised to evacuate and 500,000 people lost power.   (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Roke_(2011))





















I was very busy on the day it hit tokyo.   Although most people followed the advice to leave early before the trains stopped I stayed inside and kept working.   The winds were strong enough to rock our huge building and we could hear creaking noises for some time as the joinery adjusted to the movement -  a sound Id last heard in the Mar-11 quake.  

By the time I left work at 11pm, the storm had passed and I didn't even need my umbrella.   But the damage to trees was extensive.   We counted 5 trees down in the corner of Yoyogi park where  we normally visit.

 I was sad to see this tree damaged - I remember having a picnic under it a few years ago and minimi sitting happily in the gap between the 2 trunks.

This tree fell over the path up into the park from the gate we use.



No comments: