Monday 16 July 2012

Back Out

As Hannah has got bigger and bigger I've continued lifting her and swinging her about.    She is now 18 kg so I've been amazed I could continue to do this without aggravated my bad back.

Vidro:  swinging Hannah into the baby carrier

Well on Saturday my luck ran out.   I jarred my lower back while swinging Hannah onto my back.   And then compounded the damage by walking around all day looking at apartments

On Sunday I couldn't get up and even lying down all day didn't help much.   So on Monday I had to limp back to the hospital for treatment.

It took quite a lot to put Humpty Daddy back together again.   Daily sessions of physiotherapy for 4 days.   Electric therapy - microcurrent and interferencial - to stop the muscles spasming.


Then spinal manipulation.   Acupuncture and heat.


Apparently this helps my cheese circulate correctly


Then traction.  This is a very mild form of the famous medieval torture 'the rack'.  If this doesn't work,   they move on to 'drawing' and 'quartering'.


And of course anti-inflamatory pills and plaster.   Optional painkiller (for girls only).    Most importantly - four days and nights solid bed-rest, to let the inflammation subside.

And a corset to support my back for the short periods I was standing up.  When it is really tight it pushes my beer-gut up under my armpits.   Not a good look.


Lying down for 4 days was a good chance to finish my book of chinese history.  But mainly I just slept and waited to get better.



No comments: