Sunday 16 February 2014

Li Fai CNY Dinner

On Sunday I attended the annual Chinese New Year dinner for my Tai Chi club.   It was held in the conference room on the top floor of the Customs Exercise Department at North Point.  This is an interesting place with cabinets full of interesting mementos from the department's history under British and Chinese rule.  Nice view of the harbor too.


For a couple of hours before the meal,  students and teachers from different classes gave short demonstrations.  A group of students from our Saturday class performed a shortened Chen 56 set.


I joined the group at late notice and we did a reasonable showing, especially as we barely rehearsed.   I was initially pretty happy with my effort, although when I saw the photos I could see lots of basic errors.


We were the 3rd group of about 25, and the quality got higher and higher as the program progressed.

Video:  Chen (?) fan form



I was impressed by the breadth of martial arts taught by the school.  The main instructors are all women and in fact there was only one male teacher.


Video:  Sword forms

Push hands.   This exercise is one of the core foundations of real tai chi.  I plan to take classes as soon as I get the opportunity.


Video:  Push Hands


Many of the students are very silled.

My classmates Tommy and ??

Video:  Tommy Yang(?) sword form



The dinner.  Very nice chinese food although I passed on the gooses' web.

Group photo for students who won awards in competitions during 2013.

Our table with Sifu.





No comments: