Saturday 9 August 2014

Wilson Trail Stage 3

Since it was such a lovely day on Saturday I made an impromptu decision to go hiking right after Tai Chi.  

I chose stage 3 of the Wilson Trail which starts at the eastern entrance of Hong Kong harbour, just 2 stops on the MTR from my class at North Point.   I skipped the first 1km and joined the trail at Yau Tong MTR station.  I probably lost most of that 1km trying to exit from the gigantic MTR mall,  but I was able to buy a water, food, sunscreen, insect repellant, a hat and hiking shorts.

Hong Kong harbor from Yau Tong.   The hills commanding the entrance to the harbor have some old military forts.  I skipped them because I mistakenly thought I didn't had enough time.


The path goes alongside the Chinese Cemetary, and along the ridges above beside the path was a series of small unofficial looking shrines overlooking the harbor.

View from Devils Peak (202m).  Looking west from one of the shrines    

The shrine that enjoys the view in the photo above

I continued up the ridge to Black Hill (304m) which gives nice views of Hong Kong Karbour, its eastern approaches, and Clearwater Bay.



Also Tai Lo Shan (Tates Cairn) and Ma On Shan to the far north. (My target for Sunday)

Panorama:  view from Black Hill


After Black Hill the Wilson Trail path left the ridge and descended through forest to a series villages .

Along the way I passed this quirky but spooky shrine with a host of painted sculptures of people and animals.


 They reminded me of Latin American 'Day of the Dead' decorations.  


There was even one looking like a mad Gweilo pig playing the shakuhachi

I finished Section 3 at Clearwater Bay Road at 4pm having done 8.3km in under 2.5 hours.






No comments: