Monday 16 February 2015

Hap Mun Beach to Hutong

On Monday we took Granny, Grandad and Hannah to see Sai Kung and the beach at Hap Mun Bay.


We had to take a Kaido to the beach, and since it was low-season this was a private hire.


Hannah and I went to work improving the beach.    If I say so myself, our castle was perfectly positioned for the incoming tide.


The moat filled-up with water in a most satisfying way, while the walls and keep stayed intact.


Apart from us the beach was almost deserted, although the weather was very pleasant.


I was glad Granny and Grandad could experience this side of Hong Kong life.  Beautiful deserted beaches just 1 hour from our apartment.



For a complete change of pace we went for dinner in TST at Hutong on the 28th floor of 'One Peking tower'.   I'd chosen this  one-Michelin-star restaurant as the 'splurge' event for Granny and Grandad's visit - our one experience of an expensive top-end establishment.


"Hutong serves an award-winning menu of occasionally fiery Northern Chinese cuisine against stunning views of the ultra-modern Hong Kong skyline."


Certainly the interior design and view didn't disappoint.   And the designers had sensibly kept the interior very dark to make the most of the terrific views.


We were given a secluded corner-table with a 270 degree views over TST and the harbour.  The photo above is looking west towards I-Square (and the windows of Myung Ga Korean BBQ where we'd had dinner on Friday).


Since it was a 'splurge' I  chose the special tasting set-menu and a bottle of champagne.  We had a very pleasant meal trying the different dishes and enjoying the views.


Our verdict on the tasting menu?  It was very nice and an interesting variety of styles.  But there was only one truly  outstanding dish - the cod with sancho pepper.   A couple of dishes - such as the peking duck - were fine but not as nice as we sometimes get in less famous restaurants.   So for HKD 1,000 per person, I'm afraid I was slightly disappointed.


If I was rich I think Id like to dine at Hutong often.   But I am not, and the bill gave me more vertigo than the views.   So I think that for our next 'splurge' meal we will probably try somewhere else.  


No comments: