Thursday 28 February 2013

Another Year Gone

Today marks the 1st anniversary of our relocation from Tokyo to Hong Kong.  Rika still gets tearful when she remembers the immigration official at Narita bidding me 'sayonara' ('goodbye') rather than the usual 'itterasshai' ('have a good trip').  

I think we can be pretty satisfied how we have adapted and settled-in to our new life.  Especially Hannah who had a hard time adapting to two new schools, but now seems fairly happy and secure.

Today also marks the half-way point in my initial contract in Hong Kong.  But given our cost-cutting targets there is no guarantee that my job will survive the summer.

So although we'd love to stay longer in Hong Kong, our life here inevitability feels temporary.  I still feel very much 'on the road'.



年暮れぬ
笠きて草鞋
はきながら

Toshi kurenu
Kasa kite waraji
Hakinagara

Another year is gone;
a traveler’s shade on my head,
straw sandals at my feet

Matsuo Basho, 1685 (c. 41 years old)

No comments: