Saturday 20 July 2013

Ocean Park - Caricature


To immortalise the occasion of Hannah's birthday, our family sat for a caricature portrait in the 'Old Hong Kong'  section of Ocean Park.  



The artist did me the honour of drawing me chinese, and also younger and better looking than I really am.   I suspect I was a tricky subject with strange features that didn't quite match the inventory of shapes from which she builds her caricatures.


I'm sure there is a an old English joke along the lines that being a caricature artist in China must be the easiest job in the world - 1 billion potential customers who all look the same.     Of course,  I've never thought all chinese look the same, although a colleague once accused me of this when I forgot her name.   But it is also a fact that the physical 'types' and distinguishing features are different from Europeans - hair color for example - in a way that takes a while for your eye to tune in to.



I remember when I first arrived in Japan it seemed strange that 19th century japanese artists would draw Americans as red faced oni (demons).   It doesn't now.   In fact, after almost 10 years living in Asia I often find myself thinking many europeans are rather fat and strange looking, myself included.  










No comments: